Larissa is an award-winning author of fiction and non-fiction with a passion for telling the stories of Indigenous Australia. She has a legal background, is an experienced researcher and is involved with several arts organisations and educational programs. She wrote and directed the Walkley nominated documentary, Innocence Betrayed which aired on NITV in 2014. She is currently Professor of Indigenous Research at the University of Technology, Sydney. Find out more about Larissa Behrendt’s writing visit www.larissabehrendt.com.au.
Director / Writer:
- Under Skin, In Blood. (13 minutes) Brown Cabs, Premier Sydney Film Festival, 10 June, 2015.
- Djon Mundine – In the Spirit of Bungaree (13 minutes). Brown Cabs; NITV. Post-production.
- Fred Maynard – Aboriginal Patriot. (26 minutes) Pursekey Productions. Post-production.
- ACCC. TVC (2 x 2 minutes) CAAMA. 11 October 2014. Scams; Direct Debits.
- Innocence Betrayed. (54 minutes) Lavarch Productions, NITV, 6 August 2014.
- Stand Up, Deadly. (90 minutes) Lavarch Productions, post-production.
- Who’s Afraid of Jason Wing? (13 minutes). Brown Cabs; NITV. 22 December, 2014.
- Recognise. TVC (2 minutes) Lawrence Creative, July 2014. Tony Albert.
- The Syron’s Call. (14 minutes) AFTRS. 2014; NITV, 2015
- The Night Sky. (8 minutes) AFTRS. 2013
- Clan. (7 minutes) AFTRS. 2013
- Who We Are 3: Brave New Clan. (54 minutes) CAAMA/Foxtel; directed by Leah Purcell. Co-written with Leah Purcell. Biography Channel, 10 July 2014.
- Protecting Manuwangku. (26 minutes) NITV. July 2014
- Indigenous Australia for Dummies. Wiley: 2012 (non-fiction)
- Australian Screen Classics: Rabbit Proof Fence. Currency Press: 2012 (non-fiction)
- Legacy. St Lucia: UQP. 2008 (fiction)
- Home. St Lucia: UQP. 2004. (fiction)
- Achieving Social Justice. Annandale: Federation Press, 2002. (non-fiction)
- “Under Skin, In Blood”. Overland Literary Magazine, Vol. 203, Winter 2011.
- “The Space Between Us”. 10 Short Stories you must read in 2011. Australia Council: Surry Hills, 2011.
- AW Myer Indigenous Award – AFTRS – 2012
- NSW Australian of the Year – 2011
- NAIDOC Person of the Year – 2009
- Victorian Literary Award – Indigenous Writing – 2009
- Commonwealth Writers Prize – Best first novel Asia/Pacific – 2005
- Queensland Literary Award – David Uniapon Award – 2002
- Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Jurisprudence (UNSW) 1992
- Master of Laws (Harvard Law School) 1994
- Doctorate of Laws (Harvard Law School) 1998
- Graduate Diploma in Screenwriting (AFTRS) 2012
- Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors 2013
- Graduate Diploma in Documentary (AFTRS) 2013
Professional Achievements and Associations
- Fellow, Australian Social Sciences Academy
- Foundation Fellow, Australian Academy of Law
- Member, Australian Writers Guild
- Member, Australian Directors Guild
- Member and Graduate, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Sydney Festival: Board Member 2015
- Australia Council Major Performing Arts Panel: Member 2015
- Bangarra Dance Theatre: Board Member 2008; Chair 2010-2014
- Australian Major Performing Arts Group (AMPAG): Board member: 2013-2014
- Museums and Galleries NSW: Board Member 2012-present
- Judge, Premiers Literary Awards, Non Fiction – 2013-2014
- Museum of Contemporary Art Australia: Board member, 2007-2012
- National Indigenous Television (NITV): Inaugural Chair, 2006-2009
- Ambassador, Guwara Aboriginal Campus, St. Andrew’s Cathedral School
- Founder and Board Member, Sydney Story Factory